Saturday, April 29, 2006

Playing outside

We have been working hard the last couple of weeks trying to get our yard cleaned and organized so Allie and Preston have a nice place to play. Today Susanne and I finished disposing of all the trees we cut down (choke cherry and scrub oak) and sanded and primed the slide platform. We should be getting Allie's playhouse this week, too. Allie loves playing outside and is never happy when we make her come inside. Her favorite place to play is at my friend Jackie's house. They have a huge lot and she thinks she owns the place. They spoil her rotten, let her play in the dirt, buy her presents and let her run and run and run. Today she wouldn't even go shopping with us - she told us to go by ourselves so that she could stay and play with Sam and Jackie. She is getting very independent and only needs us when she is tired or hurt.

Mark got his second ACT test back this week. He did very well. His highest score was in English. He loves the rules of grammar, so he got a 36 on that section. He got a 29 composite. His biggest problem with standardized tests is that he is slow and methodical. He cannot be rushed, much like his father. He could compete with anybody [even David ;)] if the test were not timed. He is very hard on himself and thinks that if his score is not in the thirties he isn't doing very well. You see what a bad example you all set? Less than 99th percentile isn't good enough. 29, by the way, is only 95th percentile. What a slacker!???

I only teach 11 more days! I looked at what I still had to teach in science and wasn't doing as poorly as I thought. But then I gave a science test and I am sad too say that, although I covered the material, the kids haven't learned what they should have. Next year I need to start earlier and cover the material several times. I actually spent more time on science this year but covered more things about the scientific method and how to set up experiments to answer questions. I think that is pretty important, but next year I will have to save that until last or just squeeze in more lesson time. Whine, whine, whine. Yes, it goes good with crackers.

That was a downer kind of paragraph, but generally I am happy and doing well. We miss Dave, Ya-ping and Preston but should be able to see them again soon. We are hoping they come home the last of May. Everyone is healthy and we are not dealing with any traumas. We have great friends and family. What more could we ask for?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

We have been so happy it is spring and we can be outside more. We are not the greatest with yard work though. How do you learn that stuff? I am sure Allie and Preston will love it!

Mark is so smart! If he doesn't like 29, I feel ashamed to say that I only got a 26. I am not like the rest of my family.

We are looking forward to having school be out too. Have a super summer.

30/4/06 19:57  
Blogger Deanna said...

29 is a great score! Definitely nothing to be ashamed of there.

How exciting to get a new playset outside! My kids have LOVED being outside lately, and I usually end up getting a sunburn from being outside with them every day.

30/4/06 20:29  
Blogger Auntie Ann said...

Tammy, It is not that a 26 or 29 are bad scores. It is that we have some major test takers in our family. I think you have to be smart, fast and skilled at testing to get those outrageous kinds of scores. I assure you that you have the smart...I don't know about the fast but I am betting that the thing you really lack (see "not really important")is the great test taking skill or competitiveness.

1/5/06 06:33  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so glad you're almost done teaching this year! Hopefully you'll have a perfect little class next year... Shane and I can't believe Mark is already taking the ACT, crazy. And I only got a 28... I think I also lack the test taking skill though. If I combined the best from every section from each time I took it, my score would've been much higher. Anyway, I hope he doesn't push himself TOO hard.

Oh! And, I am so excited for our house so we have a place for Kathryn to play. We want to get a little pool for her and eventually a playset of some sort. It's exciting!

1/5/06 07:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home